Friday, August 17, 2012

Thrilling/Terrifying

Thrilling vs. Terrifying
Coming back to America!!!

It's actually happening.  In 3 days, we will be in an American Airlines plane touching down in the most amazing country in the world!!  I can't believe THAT day is finally near.  Since I have been going back and forth in my mind so much about transitioning back into American culture, I figured I would post a few things I have been pondering...



I am THRILLED to see my family.  First and foremost.  Above all... I am absolutely ecstatic to hug each and every person!



I am TERRIFIED that I will speak to people at a 2 year old level.  Since we have been away and living in countries where English is barely spoken, I almost always fall back on my improper English so they can understand.  Marshall says I even speak to him that way sometimes.  I guess when you only have one option and you have to break your sentences down from "Excuse me, could you tell me where the restroom is please" to "uh, toilet"... its a little scary!  (This happened just an hour ago too!)



I am THRILLED to eat and eat and eat... Favorite restaurants.  Buffalo Chicken.  Real pizza.  Fruits and Veggies not bleached first... You name it, America has it.  And I am ready for it.  All.  :)


I am TERRIFIED about being "that weird girl".  I feel like so much about me has changed... I have adapted quite a bit to European culture and I think my view is skewed on a lot of things.  I have been living sort of a gypsy no-mad life and so I'm probably pretty strange to people.  


I am THRILLED to have our reception with everyone we love!  Even though it has to be small, we are so grateful for everyone coming into town for it!  



I am TERRIFIED about getting back into the working life.  I have not had a real job in so many years and I just pray I will be able to find something in South Carolina!  I feel like the work field has probably advanced so much in technology and requirements and I hope I still remember a few things!


I am THRILLED to move into our new home and get our shipment of stuff from Malta.  It will be so amazing to finally have a place of our own, to paint and decorate and remodel however we want.  Because its ours.  Finally!!!!  



I am TERRIFIED about driving on the opposite side of the road.  Or right side?  I don't even know what's normal anymore.  




I am THRILLED to pay normal prices for things.  Enough with expensive Europe, and surprisingly more expensive Africa.  Target, get ready!!


I am TERRIFIED to adjust back into a social life where it is not just Marshall and me all the time.  We are so spoiled to have each other's attention 24/7 pretty much and I think it will be really weird when we have jobs, hobbies, kids, and everything else to fit into a schedule.



I am THRILLED to start some of the Pinterest projects and recipes I have pinned over the last year!  Since I couldn't really get most of the ingredients or project parts overseas, I am thrilled to walk up and down the isles at stores to find exactly what I need!





I am TERRIFIED to forget our simple way of living without much and with lesser quality items.  We have been so happy with virtually nothing and know we can survive with crap toilet paper and weird foods.  I just hope we stay grounded and don't go crazy spending money because it is available.  

I am THRILLED to start a family.  Since we FINALLY were able to get married, we would both love to bring sweet babies into the world next.  I just can't even wrap my mind around how awesome it would be to have little blessings to spend our days with!



I am TERRIFIED that this might be our last trips overseas.  A part of me doesn't want to let go yet because we have adored the experience and have grown so much in the process.  God willing, we can bring our kids back to maybe Africa someday.



I am THRILLED to have freedom and a sense of worth again.  I wouldn't trade in spending the last three years with Marshall for anything in the world, but it did get very challenging at times not really working or having so many restrictions on us.  Driving, where we could and couldn't go, short term friendships, missing family, social activities. So much of our life has been dictated and I'm glad people were looking out for our safety and such, but it will just be so nice to be able to find Bible studies to join, and drive wherever the heck I want to go.



I am TERRIFIED to have responsibilities and rules again.  America is definitely more strict on rules, laws, and being on time for everything.  I am nervous for this very extreme transition!



I am THRILLED to turn the radio on and listen to all the new songs!  I am so out of the loop and tired of listening to either Arabic music, African folk songs, or news in other languages.  It will be so refreshing to just drive to some good music!  



I am TERRIFIED to get into my storage unit thats above my grandma's barn and find that mice have devoured all my stuff.  It's my fault for leaving it all up there, but I honestly never thought I would be gone for so long!  Darn blonde I met in Burundi! ;)  

I am THRILLED that Marshall's brother Andrew made it out of Afghanistan safely and (fingers crossed!) he is able to make it to our reception!!!



I am TERRIFIED about moving to another new place to once again make new friends.  I feel like overseas it is a little easier because there are only a few of you and people just instantly open up to each other and stick together.  I think its a little different in the states because you have to kind of "earn" your way into already established groups or clicks.  Kind of annoying, but I pray God puts the right people into our life!


I am THRILLED to not have to convert currencies in my head anymore!  No more "what is this in dollars"!!!  $10 is going to be $10!  YES! :)


I am THRILLED for FOOOOOOOOOTBALL!  All games.  Pubs or BW's.  Home parties.  Whatever.  We finally get to watch FOOOOOTBALL!!!  WOO HOO!!



Happy Friday Everyone!  Enjoy your weekend!! XO





No comments: